Suggestions for Communicating with ICU Staff:
- Know who is in charge of your child's medical care.
- Keep a list of all the medical staff and their specialties.
- Find out which nurses are in charge of your child's care.
- Keep a list of therapists and their specialty areas.
- Let staff know:
- Phone number(s) to call you
- Where you are staying if you are away from home
- Who to contact in your family for decisions and/or information
- Who not to contact in your family
- Set up a daily time and person to contact for a report on your child.
Gather the following information about each person you want to talk with:
- Name and specialty
- Telephone number(s)
- Best times of day or week to talk or meet with you
- Best ways to contact them (by phone, appointment, in office, at child's room)
- Who to ask for if they are not available at the hospital or in their office
- Most reliable way to leave messages
- When they expect to get information from special tests
See the worksheets for organizing information about hospital staff.