Changes in Your Home and Car

There are changes that may be needed at home, like rearranging rooms to make space for medical equipment or to avoid stairs. Will your child be able to get around the house using crutches or a wheelchair? Are these changes temporary or permanent?

Many families are able to make small changes themselves. Bigger projects may require professional help and be expensive. It is often difficult to get health insurance to pay for modifications. Churches and service organizations such as the Lions Club, Civic Club, Kiwanis Club, and Community Action Programs may offer some financial assistance or suggest contractors who will do the modifications on a sliding fee scale. There may be private foundations in your state or community that can help with one-time expenses, such as a ramp or a special piece of adaptive equipment. Contact the Brain Injury Association of New Hampshire for a list of organizations that provide financial assistance at and outreach services at in your community. For more information about Financial Assistance, see "Paying the Medical Bills".

Handicapped license plates for your car can make parking and travel easier. You can apply for permanent or temporary plates by contacting your primary care provider and the New Hampshire Department of Safety, Division of Motor Vehicles at